About Me

My Photo
Inherently Different
Stuff about the person who owns this blog, but it only scratches the surface because I am deeper than the Mariana Trench.
View my complete profile

Blog Archive

7/10/2003
Years ago, on a day very similar to the one we're enjoying here in San Francisco, five reasonably urban knuckleheads sat around a lunch table in Fremont, California, deciding what to do with the weekend. One of them, a short, rather disgruntled man-child that answered to the name of Dan, mentioned a pristine campground nestled deep in the Tahoe Mountains. "A place where you'd be hard put to come across another living soul much less want to," he drawled (which in and of itself was unusual since he grew up on the mean streets of Piedmont and southern drawls aren't usually associated with native Californians). Dan mentioned this campground because he'd been there and all things being equal, he decided to let us in on "one of the best kept secrets in all camperdom." A few weeks later, we were on the road to Yuba Gap for a drunken weekend of sun, hiking, drinking, eating, drinking, swimming, frisbee golfing, drinking and relaxing. The trip was by far one of the most enjoyable camping trips (hallucinogens nonwithstanding) I have ever experienced and turned one haphazardly arranged trip into what has become an annual event. What started out as five friends out for a couple of days of wilderness adventures has since blossomed into a trip that lasts four days (for some) and brings together thirty-five of my closest friends (and most vocal enemies) for a weekend spent deep in the Tahoe National Forest. Each year it gets bigger and some might say better. This year, it's happening August 7th through the 10th and promises to be quite a trip. Why am I posting it up here? Well, seeing as how there are only about five of you who read this (and some of those people live in Sacramento & do a fair bit of camping...) I thought I would extend the invitation to you and anyone who might want to commune with nature in less Bannana Republic, more chemically dependent way. Not that there is anything wrong with Bananna Republic (I dress predominantly in BR clothes afterall) but as a way of life, it leaves a lot to be desired. Plus, it more fun taking a shower after being "dirty" for a few days... This post is going out to anyone who might be interested in going. This is just a note of introduction and not the real invitation. Rather than send out the invitation to each of you, I thought it would be best if I sent this out first to see if you were interested and IF you could (and would) clear your schedule to join us (even if you can't make it up there for all four days). So, if you're the least bit curious and think this might be something you'd like to participate in, please email me directly at: calsnoboarder@netscape.net

0 comments: