About Me

My Photo
Inherently Different
Stuff about the person who owns this blog, but it only scratches the surface because I am deeper than the Mariana Trench.
View my complete profile

Blog Archive

6/18/2003
What's Wong With This Picture? There are many things in life that seriously chap my hide. Racism and inequality in business are NOT among those things. In fact, I say, do whatever the fuck you want so long as you don't physically hurt someone. Personally, I wouldn't frequent a business that would descriminate against me or anyone else but I wouldn't sue them to get them to change their practice. That's why This story makes me cringe. As a minority, I deal with some form of discrimination almost daily. Whether it's the White Italian guy at the market across the street from my apartment who always watches me with slitted eyes each time I walk into his store or my boss who thinks that because I'm Mexican, I shouldn't make decisions on editorial direction of an English language website. Now, the worst part of having to deal with racism in general, isn't dealing with racists. It's dealing with the White Anglo Americans who "fight against injustice." You know the type, liberally educated upper middle class kids who want to "change the world" and attend protests, write letters to their congressmen, and think they have a connection to minorities because, hey, they have a friend who is African American or because they just bought that new Eminem CD and he's friends with that black rapper, Dr. Dre! I get into arguments with Anglo Americans all the time on the subject of the most detrimental act to ever curse people of color. I'm talking about Affirmative Action. I'm going on record here as saying, "If you're a white, middle-class (or higher), educated person between the ages of 16-35, shut the fuck up about what's right or wrong with opportunities for minorities in education and business. Why? Well, because you have NO idea what it is like to be "of color" so you couldn't possibly know what is right for that group. It's simple... I won't ever blame you for my lot in life and you don't try to help me because you're burdened by the guilt of your economic or educational status. I honestly don't need your help and I'm certain that you're only doing more damage to my culture than good. Ok... I'm off my soapbox for now.

0 comments: