Blog Archive
- 2010 (1)
- 2007 (1)
- 2004 (8)
-
2003
(169)
- December(15)
- November(7)
- October(11)
- September(7)
- August(10)
- July(17)
- June(16)
- May(5)
- April(11)
- March(16)
- February(23)
-
January(31)
- I've accumulated a few digital video files of some...
- Here's a quick plea for help... see the post below...
- Every once in a while, I get a song stuck in my he...
- People in Glass Houses Shouldn't Throw Stones Bei...
- I like to consider myself rather well versed in ae...
- Life Begins at 8,000 Feet As many of you have pre...
- E! picks the winner... again! I'm a big fan gamb...
- I'm home. On a Friday night. In San Francisco. One...
- I'm thinking of starting my own religion. I can't ...
- There are plenty of times in which I feel as thoug...
- That Broken Girl's Rules for Boys is too complex.....
- The lovely Broken Girl put together a list of Rule...
- Interesting Gucci Ad Is this ad offensive? I find...
- I'm bolting up to Tahoe for a few days to pretend ...
- I'm like 90% done with the biscuitindex image gall...
- Growing up in Northern San Diego, Del Mar was just...
- Tears of the Sun The trailer for Bruce's new movi...
- This just in... Moe is the shit! This morning I re...
- I'm in a weird mood today. Can't quite place why b...
- I'm not a believer in much of anything other than ...
- "Do you live here?" The woman asking the questio...
- Mad Pony I'm all for getting what you can, while ...
- Beck's still standing A few months ago I found my...
- Many of you may be familiar with my belief that B...
- My fricking permalinks and archives are all crappe...
- Lot's of people come to my site in search of a Mus...
- Cluster-fucking is as American as Apple Pie I'm s...
- There have been a few published reports over the l...
- The light cast by the single light bulb flickered,...
- Depeche Mode has had a great deal of impact on me....
- A new year and none the wiser. It seems that no m...
- 2002 (248)
- 2001 (161)
About Me
- Inherently Different
- Stuff about the person who owns this blog, but it only scratches the surface because I am deeper than the Mariana Trench.
Blog Archive
-
▼
2003
(169)
-
▼
January
(31)
- I've accumulated a few digital video files of some...
- Here's a quick plea for help... see the post below...
- Every once in a while, I get a song stuck in my he...
- People in Glass Houses Shouldn't Throw Stones Bei...
- I like to consider myself rather well versed in ae...
- Life Begins at 8,000 Feet As many of you have pre...
- E! picks the winner... again! I'm a big fan gamb...
- I'm home. On a Friday night. In San Francisco. One...
- I'm thinking of starting my own religion. I can't ...
- There are plenty of times in which I feel as thoug...
- That Broken Girl's Rules for Boys is too complex.....
- The lovely Broken Girl put together a list of Rule...
- Interesting Gucci Ad Is this ad offensive? I find...
- I'm bolting up to Tahoe for a few days to pretend ...
- I'm like 90% done with the biscuitindex image gall...
- Growing up in Northern San Diego, Del Mar was just...
- Tears of the Sun The trailer for Bruce's new movi...
- This just in... Moe is the shit! This morning I re...
- I'm in a weird mood today. Can't quite place why b...
- I'm not a believer in much of anything other than ...
- "Do you live here?" The woman asking the questio...
- Mad Pony I'm all for getting what you can, while ...
- Beck's still standing A few months ago I found my...
- Many of you may be familiar with my belief that B...
- My fricking permalinks and archives are all crappe...
- Lot's of people come to my site in search of a Mus...
- Cluster-fucking is as American as Apple Pie I'm s...
- There have been a few published reports over the l...
- The light cast by the single light bulb flickered,...
- Depeche Mode has had a great deal of impact on me....
- A new year and none the wiser. It seems that no m...
-
▼
January
(31)
1/28/2003
People in Glass Houses Shouldn't Throw Stones
Being critical of other people is something that I've made into an art form. I've given lessons to mother's with daughters. My parting shots have cut various executives so deeply, they are bitter, shells of humanity, filled with less than half of the arrogance they had previously. I've made people cry with my observations but I draw the line at critiquing the people who have gained success through their efforts in my particular field. I'll bag on musicians, filmmakers, random people standing in line at Starbucks but I rarely have anything bad to say about writers or a written piece. The main reason is that I'm flawed as a writer (not even going to mention my failures as a human being) and for me to comment on what someone else has accomplished is ridiculous. I may not like something I read but I couldn't do much more than agree to disagree with the content or presentation.
More often than not, whenever someone critiques someone in their own field, it's laden with jealousy and bitterness. Don't believe me? Check the link above and read a missive from a self-described "Woman of Rock" who took offense to a Rolling Stone article that showcased a variety of musical genres, all of which could be, albeit loosely, termed Rock. I copped the link from Amelie (who is a rock star in her own right and you should all worship her daily as I do) a few days ago and its been festering in my mind since. The open letter was originally penned by someone named Maya in response to the Rolling Stone "Women of Rock" issue. It is filled with so many bitter apples of pseudo-wisdom that I couldn't help but comment. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the writing... it was well written... but the content comes from a questionable source.
The fact that she berates female singers like Britney Spears, Mandy Moore and Jewel just because they get more press coverage cracks me the fuck up! Just to make sure I can comment without talking out of my ass, as I usually prefer to do, I listened to some samples of her band's music. Honestly, it wasn't all that insightful, powerful or for that matter, entertaining... which is really the reason why I say people in Glass Houses Shouldn't Throw Stones. If she was on par with, say Joan Jett (whom she apparently reveres) then I could understand her hostility. Joan Jett rocks! As do Chrissy Hynde, The Donnas (stay tuned for a review of their latest album), The Distillers and any number of bands whom I've had the pleasure of listening to over the years. But to have someone who is marginally talented berate a few women of marginal talent is pretty funny.
It takes more than a dream to succeed as a rock star... obviously, this person doesn't realize that grace and acceptance are part of the equation for that success.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments: