Blog Archive

About Me

My Photo
Inherently Different
Stuff about the person who owns this blog, but it only scratches the surface because I am deeper than the Mariana Trench.
View my complete profile

Blog Archive

1/14/2003
This just in... Moe is the shit! This morning I read her always entertaining blog, Just Another Blog, and a bell started ringing in my head the likes of which I hadn't heard since I figured out religion can damage just as often as it can heal. Her post was about an incredibly insightful analogy for relationships that is so simple and accurate, that I'm still reeling. In essence, what Moe wrote about is how in any prominent relationship, there are two kinds of people, Kites and Strings. At any given time, you can be one or the other but not both. The theory, which Moe explains deftly as, "there is always one person who is the wilder, looser, more adventurous part of the two, The Kite. Then there is The String, who invariably is the one who keeps the Kite anchored, who saves the Kite from getting caught up in high winds and flying away," has me thinking about my past relationships as well as my current ones. Obviously, the best relationships feature both people being one of these things at any given time. When things are good, you switch off being a kite and string, allowing your partner to fill the role that you aren't currently occupying. Usually when things don't work it's because both occupy the same role (both kites or both strings) or the roles don't change to allow each to experience both the freedom of being a kite and the stability of being the string. I think this information comes too late for one but perfectly timed for another. I think I've reached a point in which I can take this new found insight and use it to my benefit immediately. I feel much better now, hours later, than I did this morning, thanks for asking.

0 comments: