Blog Archive

About Me

My Photo
Inherently Different
Stuff about the person who owns this blog, but it only scratches the surface because I am deeper than the Mariana Trench.
View my complete profile

Blog Archive

8/13/2002
I'm mulling upgrading to Blogger Pro. A lot of you may use blogger to post and you may think, "Why would you pay for something that you can essentially do for free?" Well, let me tell you. See it's about not feeling like a parasite for me. I take advantage of just about everything the internet has to offer... everything from downloading MP3s and software to researching physical products before I buy them (and then actually using the internet to buy them). Someone, somewhere, invested time and effort into making these acts possible. They created software and technologies that made fucking around on the internet a pastime as opposed to some passing fade. And while I pay a boatload for a DSL connection, that connection would be worthless if not for the content available and the tools that make that content useable. I feel I owe them something since they'll never see a dime from Pacbell for giving people a reason to pay for a DSL connection. The folks at Blogger.com, whom I don't know but admire, are the type of people who've made the internet into the tool it is. Not huge companies like Microsoft or Cisco Systems... So, that said, someone, somewhere has to foot the bill. I work for a dotcom and we're struggling but not because we're unknown! We're struggling because people got used to getting what we offered for free and getting our loyal users to start paying for stuff is an uphill battle one that I'm afraid that we'll eventually lose. So, I'm gonna plop down the $35 bucks to support Blogger Pro. Just like I plopped down $8 for LimeWire, $40 for MUSICMATCH and $20 to help tonypierce.com keep me entertained. You don't have to do anything you don't want to... but if you take advantage of the internet in anyway, give something back even if it's just a friendly email to someone who shares a piece of themselves for your enjoyment. Imagine if everyone who visited the internet today would flow a buck to their favorite internet "thing." I might keep my job for just a little bit longer.

0 comments: