Blog Archive

About Me

My Photo
Inherently Different
Stuff about the person who owns this blog, but it only scratches the surface because I am deeper than the Mariana Trench.
View my complete profile

Blog Archive

9/17/2002
Many people probably visit here and wonder, "what's with the name?" Well, I'm here to tell you. More Inhuman Than Human, the name of this blog, developed through a series of experiences. I was recruited by an ad agency in the bay area and when I moved up here, I didn't know anyone so few people could understand where I was coming from, much less where I was headed. This is a volatile mixture for someone in the advertising business since most people you find in this profession are not only incredibly paranoid, but lack any knowledge of their self-worth if it doesn't come from their creative directors. I came off as being mean (insensitive) but the fact was, I was just being incredibly truthful and couldn't be bothered with trying to be politically correct. I learned rather quickly that people would rather be lied to than have to face the facts. I will admit that I don't really care for peoples feelings (less so back then) and people would generally be taken aback when they'd be faced with one of my less than gentle admonishments. One person in particular, a traffic coordinator, who just proved time and time again that she was incapable of doing the job, would always be ready to point the finger at people when there was a mistake. Unfortunately, the mistake would often be hers and she'd try to pawn it off on the most likely target. She made the mistake of trying to pin it on me once, in a meeting with the creative team. In social situations, I'm really shy. In a business situation, I have no problem nailing people to the sacrificial cross... I even have my own hammer and bring my own nine inch nails. I unloaded on her. Explained to her where she made the error, how it could have been avoided and gave her a number of options for future employment. Okay, I could have refrained from comparing her to a calendar with a skirt but the fact was, she wasn't doing her job correctly much less doing it with any level of professionalism. As you can imagine, this made her cry. Unfortunately, this just made me angrier. "Are you fucking kidding me? Are you crying? At work?" I gently screamed. She sobbed and then said, "You're not even human... you're inhuman!" Thus the my nickname at the company was assured. Shortly thereafter, people started calling me More Inhuman Than Human. Eventually, that was shortened to MITH. The fact that as the years passed, the story became legend (and had become infinitely more embellished) lent even more credibility to the name MITH. So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it... So how'd your blog get its name? rfduck's blog, "The Pond" refers back to his nickname too Moe's blog "Just Another Blog" is a blog I read daily, and you should too!... what about you?

0 comments: